After a trauma, or a life-threatening event, it’s common to have upsetting memories, feel on edge, or have trouble sleeping. If these reactions don’t go away or get worse, you may have posttraumatic stress disorder, or PTSD. Learn how to help yourself or someone you love.
In a crisis:
You feel like you might hurt yourself or someone else:
- Call the Veterans Crisis Line: 1-800-273-TALK (1-800-273-8255) and press 1
- Chat online with a crisis counselor You can also call 911 or go to your local emergency room.
If you're a Veteran:
- Check with the VA about whether you can get treatment there
- Find a VA PTSD program near you
- Get links to more resources for Veterans and loved ones